War is Peace - Freedom is Slavery - Ignorance is Strength

Saturday, June 05, 2004

The Rose Parade & a bad case of The Fear

Sweet Jesus. I just managed to get back inside, and not a moment too soon.

I had originally intended to go to the video store on 9th & Burnside, and then stop in at Whole Foods to snag some over-priced beer, but I had completely forgoten that the Rose Parade was going on.

When I got onto the street, and walked up through the Park Blocks, I was greeted by a sea of truely Fear inducing spectacles. The streets were swarming with cops, both blocking them off in patrol cars, and roaming freely amongst the crowd, casting dark stares on anybody who looked weird, which definitely included me.

Already jittery from the heavy Police presence, I looked down the block, and saw a group of Storm Troopers milling around Darth Vader, and an Imperial Officer.

Good God, I thought, can this be real? I did a double take, but I definitely wasn't hallucinating. I decided to turn up the block, and walk toward them. As I walked I saw Vader begin to point, and give orders, but I couldn't hear what he was saying.

Suddenly Storm Troopers began siezing innocent bystanders, and grappling them out of their clothes, then throwing them onto the ground, where they began to force them into a human pyramid.

No, no - too horrible. Just a bad fantasy. I quickened my face, and tried to look nonchalant as I walked past them.

I felt ill now, and the back of my throat burned with a foul gastric taste. I was driven now, only by my thirst.

At first I had trouble locating the video store, and when I finally found it, it was closed, but by then I didn't have the will to care, and I simply turned away from the darkened door, and made my way quickly to Whole Foods, where I bought a six-pack of Ropewalk, and then hurried home.

I feel calmer now, and maybe once I drink off three - or six - of these beers I will stagger back on to the streets - to mingle.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?